Smith County Courthouse
The Smith County Courthouse on Grant Street was completed January 1, 1920. This imposing modern classical eclecticism style building is 97 feet
long, 81 feet wide and 47 feet high. Its construction is of gray Ozark granite up to the water table or to the first floor.
From there on up it is of cream colored Bedford stone.
The flooring and wainscoting throughout is tile. Stairways to the 1st and 2nd floors are marble. The attic of the courthouse in 1920 had two padded
jail cells and two common cells. This area is used for storage today.
Total cost of the original building completely furnished was approximately $98,000
and was paid for in full when ready to be occupied.
The Courthouse Square Veterans Memorial was dedicated in 2003.
This tribute to Smith County Veterans was planned by a group of interested military veteran volunteers.
The memorial courtyard is paved with bricks bearing the names of veterans and loved ones, and the landscaping around the memorial is maintained
by county staff.
This self-supporting tribute was financed with donations that continue to be received to maintain the project.